How to Deal with a Basement Flood
Basement flooding can cause a lot of damage, especially if it’s not repaired right away. If your basement is flooded, you can take steps to minimize the damage and ways to prevent it.
What to do if your basement floods
If your basement is flooded, you should first pump out all the water and dry the basement as well as you can.
- Once the basement is dry, repair any water damage to your walls, floors, or furniture.
- Next, sanitize everything that was affected by the flood.
- Install a sump pump to help prevent future flooding.
Preventing basement floods
There are a few things you can do to prevent your basement from flooding.
- First, make sure that your gutters and downspouts are free of debris so that they can properly drain water away from your home.
- Second, seal any cracks in your foundation to help prevent water from seeping into your basement.
- Third, consider installing a backwater valve to prevent sewage from backing up into your basement.
Consequences of basement flooding
- Structural damage: Water can damage the foundation of your home, weakening the support for your house.
- Mold and mildew: Floodwaters often contain sewage and other contaminants that can cause mold and mildew to grow.
- Electrical hazards: If electrical outlets or appliances were submerged in floodwater, they could present a serious electrocution hazard.
- Health risks: Floodwaters often contain bacteria and other contaminants that can cause illness.
Water heaters last between 8 – 12 years on average when properly maintained. However, your water heater's life span depends on many factors, including the quality of the unit, its maintenance schedule, and the surrounding environment. If you’re unsure whether it’s time to replace your water heater, request a free estimate from our team.Can well pumps be repaired, or do they need to be replaced? Can well pumps be repaired, or do they need to be replaced?
In most cases, well pumps are not repairable. However, in some instances, all that’s needed is a bit of maintenance or a minor electrical fix to restore full system functionality. The only way to determine whether your well pump is salvageable is by having a knowledgeable plumber inspect the system.Is it safe to use chemical drain cleaners? Is it safe to use chemical drain cleaners?
Drain cleaning chemicals are highly toxic. These chemicals are unsafe for your family and pets and can damage your pipes, causing them to deteriorate prematurely. When stubborn clogs impact your system, the best solution is to hire a plumbing professional to clear the blockage.